In July Aaron and I purchased a 1975 tent trailer. It had been previously gutted and just a few cabinets put back in. It had a new fridge, newer canvas and newer cushions so we just needed to do some cosmetic updates and make a table for it. The first week we had it we painted and laid down new peel and stick tiles. Well, I did most of the painting even though the picture shows Aaron painting one bench (this was when I hit the wall that I usually hit five minutes before finishing a job) but I give full credit to him for the excellent job he did on the floor! We just used leftover paint from the basement for the walls and cabinets and the tiles were $1.30 a tile from home depot, which ended up costing around $45 to do the floor. To me $45 dollars to have a squeaky clean new floor that only has our dirt on it is well worth it!
After painting and putting in the new floor, I made some curtains with outdoor fabric I had found at Fabricland. The colours were perfect to tie the blue denim on the cushions in with the green I had just painted, plus it was only $5 a meter because there was something wrong with the weave of the fabric that made it unsuitable for upholstery but perfect for drapery!
The last thing I tackled was the table. The person we purchased the trailer from had already gone to the work of finding the hardware to make the drop down table that turns into a bed, so all I needed to do was make the top and attach all the hardware. We just happened to have a piece of mdf in the basement that was exactly the right width to fit the space! It was a little shorter than I would have liked but in the end it worked out okay because it gives room to get into the benches and when folded down is still a single bed. I wanted to round off the corners of the table and did this using my trusty improvising skills that Aaron consistently likes to make fun of. He wasn’t home and I really don’t know how to work power tools other than a drill so I sent him a text asking him where his drywall saw was. He responded “no”. This is a running joke between the two of us as I text random questions like this on a regular basis. After finally getting it out of him, I traced a paint can (hehe) to make a radius on each corner and started hacking away with the drywall saw (I realize anyone reading this who is a woodworker will be cringing right now) and it worked pretty decently! I then took out my palmsander (ohh, theres another power tool I know how to work…if it’s considered one) and smoothed everything out. I painted it and put the hardware on (I’m leaving out the part where I put it on upside down and it had to be fixed by Husband) and it looks pretty darn good I’d say!
Soo, here are the before and afters of our little camping trailer.
Before: Pink walls, no curtains or table and grungy floor that was coming apart
After: Painted, curtains, a new table and a nice new floor